Friday 10 July 2015

Gothic Wedding guest attire (at a "normal" wedding)

Saturday evening my family and I had the pleasure  of attending the wedding of a close family friend. Well, not just the bride specifically as both of our families have been friends for a very long time indeed. Both my granny and hers have lived in the same street for more that forty years I think, and have been very close until she sadly passed away last year. Everyone in my family would call her auntie just as everyone in hers would call my gran auntie. So we knew a lot of people at the wedding, and as they have all known me since childhood they are quite used to my eccentricies, and do infact embrace them. I got a lot of compliments on my green hair and outfit (and of course plenty of fuss over the baby, which she loved). The wedding also had a running theme of Alice in Wonderland because of the 150th anniversary on it's publication, which of course I enjoyed very much. So heres my outfit:




As you can see it was a relatively conservative dress from Hell Bunny, with the skirt hanging just above the knee with a sweetheart neckline and net panel on the chest. I love the collar and the green anatomical print because it's my style, whilst still looking respectable, and not too attention grabbing either because the last thing you want to be doing at a wedding is stealing attention from the happy couple. I also tried to get a close up of my makeup but unfortunately before my mum arrived and took my outfit photos Reegan was being a little clingy, so I took the opportunity to just take some selfies with her. But I think you can see fairly well that I just went with a simple fawn coloured eyeshadow and black eyeliner, with wispy-natural looking lashes and my current obsession- the Pretty Zombie Vamp lipstick. You can't see from the photos but I wore my Iron Fist Timmy Chew ballet pumps, mostly because they are my go to summer shoes and also because I rarely wear heels. I get self concious because I'm quite tall anyway and heels make me feel like some sort of freakish giant. I was also planning to straighten my hair (something I don't do often to avoid damaging my bleached hair, which is in a remarkably good state at the moment) but I ran out of time so I just left it to dry naturally and do its thing, and just added the skeleton hand clip to keep my hair from my eyes.

A friend of ours (who by the way is male if this makes any difference to the opinion) told me the first time I wore this dress that it wasn't wedding appropriate, because  I was 'test driving' it and wanted to know what he thought. He told me that "anything to do with skulls or death should not have any place at a wedding." I didn't really know what to make of that, seeing as both Rob and I are a bit obsessed with skulls so naturally if ever we do get married they will probably be featured in the wedding somewhere or other. But then I do think that sometimes we kind of forget that we aren't all that normal so it's kind of hard to judge how other people will react to our tastes, and a lot of the time I forget that people would react in the first place. Using skeletal body parts (or bats or lace or studs or horns) to decorate my brightly coloured hair is something I do on a daily basis so when someone notices and says something as if it's out of the ordinary I don't always know what to say. (Every day is halloween?!)

Do you think my outfit was wedding appropriate? What would you wear to a "normal" wedding - would you tone it down a tad or just be yourself?

14 comments:

  1. I think it is! If you were to get married, skull away! Its YOUR special day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your dress appropriate for a wedding, and now a days alot of alternative fashion has became main stream people are more relaxed about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your dress appropriate for a wedding, and now a days alot of alternative fashion has became main stream people are more relaxed about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess would be that family/friends who invite someone to their wedding could probably guess what he or she would wear. I'm sure they weren't surprised, and that they probably loved you for being you. At my wedding, I had both extremes of attendees--a guitarist from a goth rock band and a total yuppie from a tech company. they were both dressed their version of "wedding" attire and I was honestly happy that they were 1) there and 2)being themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I think generally with this sort of thing the bride and groom wouldn't be offended at their guests being themselves, it is more likely other family members or friends would be the ones to say things if they didn't approve

      Delete
  5. You look lovely and perfectly appropriate. I recently wore a black lacy dress to an engagement party. I think something not over the top that is still true to your style is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) I'm glad you think so. Me too! Nothing wrong with an LBD when in doubt!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou :) I'm glad you think so. Me too! Nothing wrong with an LBD when in doubt!

      Delete
    3. Thankyou :) I'm glad you think so. Me too! Nothing wrong with an LBD when in doubt!

      Delete
  6. I think you look lovely (I have the Toto dress, same basic shape, but stripy pattern with hell bunnies on it).

    I found this post really interesting as I'm in the same position - I am at a fairly posh wedding 2 weeks today and I want to wear my Hellbunny Adare dress, which has a gorgeous, flattering 50s style - very cute - but has a cemetery print round the bottom. I have been told this may not be appropriate, so I may wear my floral Lindy Bop dress instead, which is lovely but doesn't fit me so well.

    It's an in-law getting married, they know how I like to dress but it's an odd one. I think I will let you lead by example and wear my first choice!

    Jane (breakingtheangel.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should go for it! Especially if the first choice fits you better- you will be comfortable and therefore much more confident in pulling off the outfit. Maybe you should do an outfit post about it too.

      Delete
  7. You look lovely. I loved the dress and your hair - great style! And totally appropriate for a wedding. Plus they invited you and know who you are anyway.

    ReplyDelete